Friday, July 3, 2009

Till Death do us part...

Dear Sunshine,

Just one month ago, I attended my Godbrother's wedding. I was so touched by the whole speech he said before his wife. Although, the wedding was only witnessed by his mum, wife, himself, and i, the ceremony was simple, and deeply remembered by me. "I will standby you, whether in sickness, in danger and till death do us part." I cannot really recalled what he said, its how he said it, really impacted into my memory like a crafted piece of art. As i hugged him in congrats, i cannot help feeling the happiness i had for him, on that very special day.

Just today, a patient's husband from my collegues team, came to the nurses counter. "Nurse, can you help me? My wife just finished her toilet and needs to be transferred and cleaned up." I stood up from my nurses notes, and went with him.

His wife suffered a stroke at age 40 plus. Half bodied paralysis, she sat on the comode chair helplessly. I was about to hug her to carry her, but surprisingly, unlike majority of the patient's family, her husband moved me aside nicely, and said "Let me do it, i need to learn how to do it, I can do it. Right? Dear?" I was touched by that gesture. I cleaned her up as he supported her up with his shoulders. He then helped her back to bed, with me just assisting to support her back.

I looked at her, squatted down, and pat her on her shoulders. Good job. And told her that she is so lucky to have such a supportive husband who would stand by her in no matter what kind of state she is in. He shall always be there to believe in her. For her to involve, for her to improve.

I saw tears in her eyes, maybe she saw mine.

My mother could have the option of leaving my dad to china alone, and caring for her 3 children here in Singapore. She did not. She supported my dad in bad times, troubled times, so difficult times, she did not give up on hope on my daddy.

I told myself, no matter where my husband (if ever i have one) want to go in future, i would surely give my deepest support like how my mother did for daddy, and also how the patient's husband did for his wife. I think its called unconditional love, and i believe that this love... does truely exist.

Love,

Moon Lim Huiying

1 comment:

  1. Ying , your words have never fail to touch my inner most feeling, Esq the paralyzed husband and wife. No books or seminar will or could teach us that our spouse could 1 day be bed ridden or something else..The bond that the husband has really touches me. it reeeally brought joy and tears after reading. Miss you ..

    ReplyDelete