Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Mother's Soul


I am going to delicate this post to all Mothers, and wishing all of them, Happy Mothers' Day.

It was afternoon shift, and its Mothers' Day. After completing my Night shift on that very day, i called my mummy from the ward phone to wish her Happy Mothers' Day. She is still in China. And its 8am, i prolly woked her up. But it felt nice to hear your mother's voice, when she just woke up, its as if she was just right beside you.

I swopped duty with EN Aurora today to work at the A + E department. I was not tired from the night shift, but i do not want to tire myself further by doing the main lobby's screening for the afternoon after getting 4 hours of sleep from the night shift. Aurora was kind enough to understand it and gladly accepted the exchange.

Thinking that its going to be less taxing at the A + E. No way... its totally opposite.

Its was about 10am. After I released my partner for his break. A mother rushed into my counter, shouting for help, full of tears," Save my baby, he is not breathing, Please save him!" To be honest, I never saw this senerio before. She carried the baby, and i quickly took his temperature, its 40.1! the baby looked motionless, but pulse was strong. I assured the mother that he is still breathing, and quickly directed the mother into the triage.

About 12noon, another mother carried her baby and crying too, burge into my counter after coming down from the car, shouting " HELP HELP! Save him, he is having seizure." She looked like she was going to trip and fall, I hurriedly carried the baby and rushed into the emergency room as he looked like he was going to throw some fits. He did not really throw fits in the end, once we laid him down onto the emergency bed, he threw up. His temperature was 39.9. Fortunately, i was wearing my PPE. Lying him on his side, for the first time, i was not afraid of his vomitus spilling onto my PPE. It was my first time changing my PPE into a clean one for the day.

My 2nd time changing my PPE was the most significant memory to me. A family car stopped abruptly at the entrance, and i somehow expected another scene. Never expected to be a bloody scene. Mother's shirt was blood stained, and she carried her 4-5 year old boy, boy's head was bleeding badly but he was still conscious. I took over in carrying the boy as the mother was trying to wipe her tears away, i could see she was in shock. I opened the emergency room once again, and laid the boy flat on bed. Explaining to the Auntie who came along, that only 2 visitors was allowed into the A+E to compromise for the swine alert, she stayed outside waiting for the Daddy to come out from the car. I looked at my PPE, changed it again. When the daddy come, he took over in being with the boy, i took care of the mother, helped her to wipe the blood stains off her arms and face.

Mothers' day. When i saw all the mothers crying to save their child. I started to think of my own mother and wondered how great a mother's love is. Its so difficult to explain the bond that had started since they carry the baby in their womb. Protecting the foetus, which some mothers could choose to abort it, and lead a simplier life. The tears that came down from the mothers' eyes are all not for acting purposes, its mothers' day, and my heart go out to them for crying on this special day.

One more thing to ponder upon. How many of us know your mother's IC number? Only 2 visitors who are males, while writing the contact tracing, knew their mother's ic number by heart. I applaud them to take the effort to remember. Well, i can proudly say, I know my mother's IC number by heart too. =)

Love,
Moon Lim.

My cousin, being carried by her caregiver, Oma. She is from Myanmar, she took care of her for 4 years, never went back to Myanmar at all. She is like a mother to her too. Not all caregivers are so understanding towards the little ones who are not blood-related. ^_^

1 comment:

  1. jie,
    this post touched my heart.
    can u believe it? i cried while reading it.
    just want to say i love mummy and you very much. :)

    -jia

    ReplyDelete